NICEF

Saturday 25 October, 2014

Hairy Tale

     I have been one of those people blessed with thick, black, wavy hair. Even when I cut it short, it grows back to waist-length in approximately a year or so. So when I first heard about Pantene’s hair donation campaign last year, I was instantly inspired. I knew such a phenomenon existed in the West as I had a cousin who frequently chopped off his locks for such a cause. It was the first time I came to know about such a campaign in India but unfortunately I could not cut my hair in time. I searched the net then to find someone who would accept my hair. The agency I found in Mumbai did not seem reliable to me and I was wondering what to do.

     Then one day, I attended a media workshop at St. Teresa’s College and in the newsletter I got from them, I read about their hair donation campaign. On further investigation I found the project was to my satisfaction and now I could finally do the deed. So I ran through the instructions and then approached my beautician. It was her first time but she did it a beautiful job of splicing of my hair in one go (I hadn’t read the instructions thoroughly unfortunately and it should not be cut off at one chop but 3/4 ). She styled my hair well and I was ready to face the world.

     I got all kinds of reactions: from the depressed (my dad) to the compliments (friends), from horrified (uncle) to the ‘you should have shaved’ (hubby). But I felt good having a maintenance free hair after so many years. Plus now I was getting loads of compliments where before I just used to look frazzled.
     But mailing it became a problem. The post office said they wouldn’t accept it as I had told them what it was when asked. I finally couriered inserting my own number with the address as they needed to contact someone. The lady there was most obliging when I explained the matter to her and helped me out.

     Just recently I was told my hair is already on its way to becoming a wig. So yes I did get to do something nice for Christmas 2013 which will bring a smile to someone’s face, someone who needs it. And next Christmas I hope I can bring another smile when I donate my hair again (hope it grows back completely by then).

     I only wish more people would join the cause since I pass people everyday who have long hair that only hampers them and adds little to their lives. With my short story I hope I inspire more of you to help another being like you live a seemingly normal life. 




No comments: